Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Incan Berry Torte- Best raw dessert ever!!!

Another new discovery and new favorite...

Madison Market in the Capitol Hill neighborhood in Seattle has probably the best raw foods section in any health/grocery store around. They have so many rare goodies that I have never seen anywhere else, besides maybe online. One of these items was a product made by House of the Sun Raw Food and it was an "Incan Berry Torte." At $7.99 for one slice, I was skeptical. For that price, it had to be good. But the ingredients just seemed too simple; goji berries, incan berries, citrus, coconut, cashew butter (and a few other ingredients.) Anyone who has tasted goji berries and incan berries knows that they aren't the sweetest fruits by any means. I do enjoy both of these dried fruits, but I would never imagine them as a tasty slice of cake. But the thing looked amazing; bright orange, perfectly cut...it looked like a slice of pumpkin cheesecake. I was so intrigued, I new I would kick myself later if I didn't try it. So I did. And I could barely contain my shock and amazement as I took the first bite. I don't think I had finished swallowing my before I shouted, "holy shit!" It was seriously the best raw cake, maybe even the best raw dessert, I have ever tasted. It was so smooth; the same constistancy as cheesecake. And it was sweet and creamy and a little tangy. It was perfect. Even my boyfriend liked it, and he usually shuns all forms of raw food (with the exception of the few raw desserts that I can assure him taste perfectly "normal.") So now I have a new favorite treat. This was the first time I saw the torte at Madison Market, and at the time, it was the last slice left. I went shopping there today, and there wasn't a single slice available. So I hope and pray that they continue to carry that torte or else I'm going to have to stalk the House of the Sun website and beg them to sell me an entire pie (which I think they just might do since the website does say they do custom orders.) Anyhow, if you are in the Seattle area, check out Madison Market. Not only for the Incan Berry Torte, but also for their amazingly thorough raw foods section (both dry and refridgerated products, not to mention their extensive collection of raw nuts, seeds, trail mixes, dried fruits, etc, etc, in the bulk section!)

Holy crap, I LOVE raw foods!

P.S. During my trip to Madison Market, I picked up a little bag of raw cacao butter, which is essentially raw white chocolate. I'd never tried it before and it was so inexpensive that I figured I might as well. It tastes like raw cacao but in a solid butter form. Not exactly my favorite thing to eat on it's own, I've realized, so I checked for online recipes containing raw cacao butter so I can find some uses for it. I came across a Raw White Chocolate Strawberry Cheesecake on the GLiving Community Forum.


I also found another version of the same recipe that provides measurements in tablespoons instead of ounces for the raw coconut and cacao butters on the Raw Freedom Community Forum. I will probably use this one when I make this cake tonight. If it's amazing, you know I'll be writing about it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment