Saturday, March 7, 2009

My RAWsome day!

Today was what I can only describe as RAWsome! While I was a little short on sleep (I woke up quite a few times; I was strangely attuned to when my doggy needed to go outside; usually I sleep through and let him pee on his pee-pad if it's really so urgent) AND I woke up early suddenly questioning whether or not I had accidentally taken home the store keys last night that I'm supposed to leave in the safe for the opener. Well, I looked at my phone, and thought, I would be getting a call any moment now... and sure enough, the call came. I rushed over to Starbucks and handed over the keys. (I attempted meditating last night, something I've been wanting to do but not quite getting the hang of...but I do feel like maybe I had some kind of heightened intuition today?) Well, my day was unintentionally off to an early start, so I just went with the flow, going to PCC for some daily groceries, going home to shower, doing my sun salutes, and making my big green smoothie.

Later in the day is when the fun began. I took the boyfriend to go get a tattoo in Lake City (his early bday present from me) and while he was doing that, I went to the U-District to visit my favorite spots. First I went to Sidecar, Seattle's all vegan grocery (with a decent little raw foods selection) and picked up a big bottle of raw agave, a Gopal's Raw Alchemy Cherry Brownie, and some organic cocoa powder. Then I went to have lunch at Chaco Canyon, the one vegan restaurant in Seattle that serves some RAW dishes! I started my meal with Raw Orange Spice Flan! Can you believe it? It was so so good and authentic, I can't even imagine how they made it! The consistency was so flan-like. Yum! My entree was a salad served with spicy nut pate stuffed mini peppers and a really cooling, refreshing, tahini dip; it was similar to sour cream but actually so much better! That's the real magic of raw foods; when something doesn't taste like a replica...it tastes better! For a little treat I had a raw hazelnut fudge bar (I almost always get this when I go there)...so fudgey and decadent. After this I went to the Roosevelt Whole Foods and...holy crap...this location is probably the best in Seattle for Raw Foods! There was such a huge selection. I was too blown away to even look through the whole store but what I saw was enough: a huge book section, with plenty of raw titles, at least 7 different brands of coconut butter, different sizes and brands of hemp seeds, an abundant bulk section where I found the greatest treasure of the day: RAW CAROB POWDER! Now, it wasn't organic :( but it was only $1.45/lb! I couldn't believe it! So I stocked up on a huge bag, which didn't even weigh an entire pound, yet will probably last me quite awhile since I also have (non raw) cocoa powder. I love both carob and cocoa for different recipes, different flavors, and for my different moods. Anyhow, I bought my raw carob powder and also some dried persimmons and pineapple to snack on while I waited for Brian's tattoo to be finished. Bliss :)

And for a late dinner I settled down to my salad with avocado and Lemon Herb Dressing from Raw Food Made Easy by Jennifer Cornbleet. (I haven't used this book so much in the past, but I am starting to use it more of late!) The dressing was simple and light-tasting, but quite high in oil-to-lemon ratio. But no complaints about the taste! I made it with fresh basil, as I have some leftover from my pesto zucchini pasta I've been eating the past two nights. YUM! I feel light, and my body is starting to feel so much better. I'm still recovering from my cold, but eating well really helps up the joy factor!

Days like today make me remember how fun and exciting raw foods are. Yes, I am excited by the strangest things. And what do I look forward to? I was inspired by the two blogs I have stumbled upon: Raw Mom-Raw Love and Aleesha's Raw Life to maybe do a juice fast some time in the near future. The idea has been in the back of my head, but reading about others' personal experiences just makes it seem more exciting. I'm not planning on doing anything too long; 3 days minimum, and probably no longer than a week to ten days. I think I could benefit from it spiritually (I felt great when I did the Master Cleanse a couple years ago) and maybe it will even get my creativity flowing better! (I have a novel that is just begging to be finished...just haven't had the right sense of flow quite yet to do it justice!) I just have this sense that I need to be cleansed; cleansed of thoughts, toxins, questions, stress, and setbacks. Therefore, I am drawn to this idea of juice fasting! We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment